Lauries Kitchen

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Meat Pie, Asparagus my way, and Instant Oatmeal

Since we are on spring break I am trying new recipes....here's what's for supper tonight....meat pie and aspragus.

The meat pie recipe was tweaked from this blog Big Red Kitchen. She called it a 1607 Pie. I tweaked it to make it easier for me to fix as a quick meal.

Meat Pie
1 pound ground turkey
2 shakes worcestershire sauce
1 can Del Monte diced potatoes DRAINED
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 pkg Pillsbury pie crust

Set oven to 350 degrees. Line 1/2 pie crust in bottom of pie pan. Brown ground turkey in cast iron skillet. Add onions powder and worc sauce. Mix well. Then add potatoes. Add meat and potatoe mixture to pie crust. Top with other 1/2 pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is done.


I thought about adding a can of rotel but am glad I decided not to. Cheese would be good in it though. A good meat and potatoes dish.

I served asparagus with it. I have bene searching all over for a good asparagus recipe and kind of just put some ideas together for this..

1 bunch aspragus washed and patted dry
olive oil
Mrs. Dash garlic and herb blend

Turn oven to 350 degrees. Cut woody stems off aspragus....this is not the artichoking looking end...Lay in pan. Drizzle olive oil over and sprinkle with seasoning. Bake about 30 minutes...

Folks, this is why I love my double ovens....dinnerr was ready in no time. Both got done about the same time. Everyone loved the meat pie and Grace loved th aspragus....so I will be making both again.

This afternoon JoGail and I tried another new recipe.....one for instant oatmeal. She has promised to try one tonight so we'll know how it is....I altered this recipe http://lifeasmom.com/2010/03/frugal-friday-making-my-own-instant-oatmeal.html. I'm not sure why the instant milk was added. I decided not to add that since I didn't have and didn't want to spend the money on some.

Instant Oatmeal
1/4 c instant oatmeal
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspooons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together and store in a snack bag. Add 6 tablespoons hot water.

I'll let you know what she thinks of it.....if it works it will definately save us alot of money!
You can adjust the flavors to whatever you like, dried fruit, raisins, etc......

Tomorrow's dentist day and then on Thursday Grace gets her braces off!!!!! So we're heading to the show (I think) to see Alice in Wonderland and let her finally have some popcorn!

~Laurie

1 comments:

SnoWhite said...

Love this idea for instant oatmeal! Will be great when little kiddos are in charge of their own breakfast :)