Lauries Kitchen

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Catching Up!

Thought I would catch up on some recipes we've enjoyed over the break. The punch recipe is from Grace's AP English teacher. She made it for the class when they had an Oscar Wilde party. I've made two complete batches this break. The girls really like it. I made up the stroganoff recipe this morning. I needed to use some thawed out beef and just started throwing thing sin the pan. Turned out pretty good. The cookies are pretty much pure sugar. Not much hiding it in this recipe. I've made something like this before but never had the flavor from jello. I'm thinking i can make these for any holiday--just adjust the jello flavor. They are really simple since I have a stand mixer. Just turn it on, do something and then when I come back it is ready!

Almost Champagne Punch
1     2 liter Ginger Ale
1     2 Liter Club Soda
1     Jug White grape juice

Mix together and serve. I buy the ginger ale and club soda in 1 liter bottles and make 1/2 batch at a time.  I have no clue if it almost tastes like champagne or not!

Jello Cookies

3 eggs whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 T any flavor jello (I used strawberry)
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon vinegar

Heat over to 250 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil and spray with pam. Beat salt and egg whites until foamy. Add jello and sugar and beat til stiff peaks form--may take as long as 10 minutes---it will also be glossy! Gently add in vinegar. Drop onto cookie sheet or pipe onto cookie sheet. Bake 25 minutes., Turn oven off and leave in oven for another 20 minutes. Cool completely before eating--I can never wait that long. Just remember it's like eating pure sugar!

Stroganoff

1 1/2 pound beef--I used steak fingers and cut them into chunks after tenderizing
2 cans cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
1 cam french onion soup
wide noodles

Sear, season and cook beef in skillet. When done, add soups and simmer til ready to eat. Cook noodles and serve stroganoff over noodles.

This month we have 2 birthdays--mine and JoGail's! I still think it's cool that Grace shares a birthday month with Coy and JoGail shares one with me. JoGail was due (they thought) and my doctor was going out of town, so they took her about a week early. According to the sonograms, etc she was supposed to be an already big baby. Well, I think they missed everything on her. She was only 6 pounds and have major difficulties breathing, so off to the NICU she went. I went and saw her for the first time after the finished the c section. Then I told my doctor to knock me out and he did. She was out of NICU pretty quick--I think like 24-36 hours, once she could breathe well. Amazingly, she has not had trouble with her lungs ever since.

There are so many things to be thankful for this New Year's Eve. As a family we have a had a fun year. We have grown-especially the girls! Grace has adjusted to being a freshman and JoGail has ventured into Junior High. We vacationed in Florida and came back ready to tackle yet another school year.

IF I were to make a New Year's resolution, it would be to enjoy every minute and live so that others see God in me. That includes listening more and talking less, and loving others. Oh and I want to journal more in my book, so that the girls can reflect on it later in life and maybe remember some memories that may have gotten tucked away.

Happy New Year's!

0 comments: