Lauries Kitchen

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chocolate protein bars, leftover chicken spaghetti, koolaid pie

I'm trying to catch up on some recipes. I have made this at least once a week this summer for the girls. This recipe is orginally from themarathonmom.com. I took out some ingredients to suit the girls' tastes, though. I'm not sure how much protein is actually in these bars, but I do know there's some healthy stuff in them. You could easily add dried fruit, coconut, flaxseed, etc. They don't travel well because they melt so easily, but they are good to keep in the fridge and let the girls munch on.

Chocolate protein bars
1/2 cup peanut butter (orginal recipe called for natural peanut butter)
1/3 cup (local) honey --I used wal-mart to be more cost effective
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup oats (NOT quick oats)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Other original ingredients include 2T wheat germ and 1/2 cup coconut

Melt peanut butter, honey adn butter over a low heat stirring to keep it from scorching and sticking to the bottom. Turn off burner when it's melted. Pour in oats and stir well. (add wheat germ here if you want) Stir til combined. Let is cool slightly then stir in chocolate chips (and coconut if using). Pour into a pam sprayed foil lined 8x8 pan and refrigerate. Once cooled cut into bars.

How I foil line my 8x8 pan.....I take 2 pieces of foil and put in the bottom, laying one the opposite direction than the other.

I have been boiling Grace a chicken to eat every week this summer. She eats it like crazy. She loves to dip it in A1 sauce........so I had 'some' chicken left and some whole wheat spaghetti left from lunch yesterday. Since I don't mix the spaghetti and sauce, I was able to make chicken spaghetti for lunch today. I got recipes together and realized I didn' t have quite all the ingredients to make 1 specfic recipe, so I made my own. It really didn't turn out that bad.

Leftover chicken spaghetti

Leftover spaghetti, cooked
Leftover chicken (I'm guessing about 2 cups)
1 small can mushrooms drained
1 can mild rotel drained
2 cups shredded velveeta
1 can cream mushroom soup (lowfat)
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chicken broth


I put the spaghetti in the bowl first and used my kithcen scissors to cut it into small pieces. I then did the same with the chicken. I sitrred all that together in a big bowl then baked it at 350 for about 30 mins. It's not too cheesy and was very moist.

I orignally saw this recipe on the internet years ago and make it once or twice a summer. Not sure why I don't make it more often since it's super easy and always gets eaten very quickly. We absolutely love it with the lemonaide kool aid mix. I've also read that its very good with the strawberry kool aid mix.

Kool Aid Pie
1 package kool aid, any flavor
1 8 oz tub cool whip (I used the lite)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 graham cracker pie crust

Gently mix first three ingredients together then place is graham cracker crust. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I've been making these bacon wrapped eggs for the girls for the last couple of days. In fact I hve to go get some more bacon to keep making these. They love to eat these when they come in from workouts. I don't mind because it's simple and full of protein. They usually eat a protein bar (store bought) or granola bar before workouts. They hold the girls over til lunch pretty well.

Bacon wrapped eggs
4 large eggs
6 pieces of bacon
salt/pepper

Mix  eggs and salt/pepper together (like you are making scrambled eggs). Spray 6 cup muffin tin with pam (Spray really well-especially if it's an old pan like mine.) Take 1 piec of bacon and fold in hald. Wrap around the inside of the muffin cup. Do for all 6 cups. Pour eggs into the 6 cups....Bacon at 350 for 20-25 minutes. You could also add cheese to the scrambled egg mixture. Less than 150 calories per serving (1 bacon egg per serving) You can also just bake the eggs without the bacon.

0 comments: