Lauries Kitchen

Sunday, May 01, 2011

Mama's Breakfast

I generally take my breakfast to work and eat it there. I usually get there around 7:40 so I have time before 8:00. Since I am not a 'morning person', this gives me a little more time to wake up and get going before I eat. I have been making my own version of egg mcmuffins and taking them. Make a little egg omelet, take 1 piece of cheese and some ham. Sandwich between an egg muffin and microwave. Pretty good. But alas, I am tired of eating that. I am not my husband who has probably eaten the same thing for three years in a row, pretty much every morning. So I decided to try and make a recipe my mom used to make when we were growing up and travelling. She would make these things up and we would just eat them from the bag. I have no idea where she got the recipe. Take a package of sausage and brown it. While still in the pan, add in a jar of Old English Cheese. Stir til melted and well blended. Spoon onto English muffins. Refrigerate until ready to eat. She would cut them into small bite size pieces. So I went to the store to get the ingredients. Sausage-check, muffins-check. Old English was $3.84 a jar!!!!!! And that's that little itty bitty jar!!!!! So I opted for the $1.57 jar of cheese whiz......we'll see how they turn out! I told Coy it's amazing how the price of groceries has gone up. Just a simple box of spaghetti has gone from 89 cents a box to over two dollars a box! I am not a Wal-Mart fan.....at all.....but I am I am hoping I can save us some money this summer by ad comping. Maybe if I start in the summer when I have more free time I can get in the swing of it. I have tried couponing but there aren't many coupons for the things we use on a routine basis......turkey ground meat, spaghetti, ranch style beans, hungry jack biscuits, english muffins, etc....if you have any suggestions or tips, please feel free to leave me a comment. I need organizational tips.....any advice is appreciated!

1 comments:

Deanna said...

I agree with you about the price of groceries! I have been doing better with coupons and comp ads at WM, but I hate having to shop there! I am considering making monthly trip to mesquite to shop at krogrer. What do you think. If I can save enough it will justify the gas. Also, if u r not using your Sunday coupons, send them my way. ;0)