Lauries Kitchen

Saturday, May 01, 2010

Thinking back....

I have been thinking alot lately about my parents. They are truly special people and I believe have done an awesome job raising their kids. They met one summer out at a Baptist camp called Glorieta. I have always thought it was funny that they had to travel to states away (they were in Louisiana then) to find each other when they both participated at the BSU on their college campus and only lived 30 minutes from each other. Currently they are full time volunteers at Glorieta. They are helping keep the campgrounds up and running so that others can enjoy what they have. From teh time I can remember other people have always been apart of out family. In Dawson, TX our family of seven picked up Mrs. Nelson (lived across the street, the Pitts, Larry Blackerby, the Etters and anyone else who happended along that needed some friendship or good food. I can remember hoping someone would come to eat beacuse that meant I knew it was going to be good! After moving to Groesbeck TX the summer before I started 7 th grade, it was harder (town was bigger) but the traditions continued...Ms. Mondell, Tommy Kasner, the Furlows.....It was fun and always an adventure. By then I was in Jr High/High school was busy with activities. I remember girls from teh basketball team always wanting to come overr because they knew my mom would have cooked. I remember mom and dad suggesting we invite a particuliarly difficult teacher over. Man I did not like him. But we did  it and kind of adopted him as a 'secret' project.....little did I know how that little secret project would turn out! Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself....one of the neat ideas my dad and mom have had is to write a book the past two Christmases that have stories and recipes in them. It' s not big and uses pretty simple vocabulary...I have read them over and over. There are food stains in each one....I just love those books.....they have my parents all in them. They survived a house fire some years back ( I think about 12-14 years ago) and mom lost alot of recipes in the fire. She has worked hard to remember and recreate as many as she could to include in the book. Don't go looking for healthy recipes, either. You won't find them in their books. I have decided to post a few of her recipes here. I do not know the true source of manyof these recipes, so I apologize if I do not give credit. Most are just recipes I grew up with, called what we called them. Remember, my mom had five kids to feed, too. This first one is a definate family memory maker. I think most of us actually loved it growing up.....now, not so much. The boys still love it, though. For some reason she always served it with corn.

Mrs. Denny's

1 pound hamburger
chopped onion to taste
2 TBS BBQ sauce
1 can pinto beans (DO not drain)

Brown onion and hamburger meat over medium heat. Add BBQ sauce and undrained beans. (You can add worc. sauce if you want and spice it up however). Cook until mixture is not soupy.

I am not certain of the origin of this recipe. My parents started making this after we had all grown up and moved out! It's great to take to church or work, though.

Cobbler Ole

1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1 /2 cups water
2 cup sugar

1 dozen FLOUR tortillas
1 large can cherry pie filling

Melt butter, water and sugar together until it boils in a small saucepan. Spray a 10x13 pan with pam. Fill each tortillas with pie filling and roll up like you would an enhiclada and place it seam side downin the pan. After filling and rolling all 12, pour butter mixture over top. Set aside fro 45 minutes or overnight in the fridge. Let come to room temperature and bake for 30-35 minutes. Really good over ice cream!


I saw a qupte the other day that stuck with me.....the struggle will stop when the gratitude starts.....hummmm........still 10/5.14 !!!  I hope to feature recipes from my siblings and Coy's family in the near future....so email me if you have a request or have one for me to post!!!



Laurie

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Mrs. Denny's came out of an old magazine way back when. Cobbler Ole' came from Wanda Heiskell when she was teaching Home Ec at Dalhart HS. She frequently brought it to school when we all ate together.

Mom