Lauries Kitchen

Monday, May 03, 2010

What a day!

  Today has been wodnerful!   I finally hit "30" and I was rewarded by receiving a necklace in the mail I had won awhile back.(Way before Ihit 30!) God works in wonderful, ways, doesn't he???  This weekend was absolutely fabulous. JoGail sang in front of the church for the first time and Grace particpated in the youth's drama production. The drama production was wonderful and powerful. It was Incredible Enounters with Christ. It has realy challenged me to get out of my bubble and quit worrying about how people might hurt me and get onto helping others. Yes, I know it will be hard. With God's help, I can do it for 20 more school days, though! I have got to return to looking for ways to help others. Sounds easier than it will probably be, but sooo worth it.

Changing gears, here. I hav ebeen thinking about how my grandmothers help teach me to cook. I don't think this iw really writen down anywhere, because I have never really thought about it. Maw Maw Collins (mom's mom) was theone who taught me the difference between a teaspoon and tablespoon. A  table spoon is as big as table and a teaspoon is something as small as a teacup. (Another thing she taught me was that when she sent a sympathy card she would always include a book of stamps.) I wish I had learned to make her roast gravy. I have never tasted anyone's  quite like hers. It was so good over rice. MawMaw Cole (Dad's mom) taught me how to make green beans, pancakes and all kinds of stuff! She has tried to teach us how to make her famous sweet tea.  I think the secret is in the jug...she totes it and sends it to people in either a washed milk jug or washed out gallon vinegar jug. It usually has my PawPaw's name O.W. Cole on it somehwere.  She is also famous for her chocolate cake. She makes that in a roasting pan. Yep, a roasting pan. Always has. I think the story is something like that's all she had the first couple of times she made it and it just got to where she always made it in THAT pan! I think probably the most improtant thing she has modeled for me was to enjoy cooking. I have never heard her complain about cooking. She always put the radio on (even if the tv is on) and dances while she cooks-especially in the mornings. She doesn't cook near as much as she used to but you can still see her moving around her kitchen to the music on most mornings when you visit.

OK, enough reminiscing and on to a recipe!

Cake Mix Cookies

1 box cake mix, any flavor
2 eggs
1/2 c oil

Mix together and drop like drop cookies on a cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven (350) for about 7-6 mintes. When I make lemon I love to put cream cheese icing on them!


This next recipe is one I make when the funds are low. Since Coy and I pracitcally get paid on teh day each month, we have to make the funds stretch sometimes. I can usually still make this even if we are stretching!

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 8-9 minutes.



~Laurie

1 comments:

Prior said...

I love those stories...how neat to have them written down for your girls. Lezlee